A British coroner has concluded that an 11-day-old baby girl died after her mother accidentally infected her with a strain of the herpes virus that causes cold sores on the mouth and face, Agence France-Presse reports.

Ruth Shofield became ill with flu-like symptoms just before giving birth to baby Jennifer. The virus caused Shofield to develop several mouth ulcers.

Coroner James Adeley said this week that it was more than likely the first time Shofield, 35, suffered from cold sores, meaning neither she nor her daughter had built up a resistance to the virus.

The coroner believes the virus was transmitted to the baby either by a kiss or through breast-feeding.

Click here to read more on this story from AFP.