A 94-year-old great grandmother from Australia has ‘miraculously’ survived after being bitten twice by one of the world’s deadliest spiders.
Mavis Tanner was putting on her slippers at her nursing home on the New South Wales central coast last month when she was bitten on the big toe by a funnel-web spider.
"I thought it was a button, so I put my hand in, of course, to pull it out and it bit me on the forefinger of my right hand," she told The Australian.
Craig Adams, a former operations manager at the Australian Reptile Park and Wildlife Sanctuary, said that after a funnel-web bite, the body's central nervous system "begins to misfire and the patient loses all control.”
The deputy medical director at the New South Wales Poisons Information Center said he was stunned when he heard about the case.
"This would be the oldest survivor, for sure," said Dr. Naren Gunja.
"I've never heard of anyone older than 94 being bitten, envenomed and surviving. Funnel-web venom causes a storm of hormonal activity when they inject a human. Elderly people and young children would be less likely to weather that storm."