A man has died after his cell phone exploded, severing a major artery in his neck, according to reports.

The man, thought to be a shop assistant in his twenties at a computer shop in Guangzhou, southern China, died after he put a new battery in his phone. It was believed that he may have just finished charging the battery and had put the phone in his breast pocket when it exploded.

According to the local Chinese daily Shin Min Daily News, the accident happened on Jan. 30 at 7:30 p.m. local time.

An employee at the shop told Chinese media that she heard a loud bang and saw her colleague lying on the floor of the shop in a pool of blood. The employee said the victim had recently changed the battery in his mobile phone.

Chinese authorities have yet to determine the make and model of the phone and its battery. Some reports indicated the store was a Lenovo shop, but it was thought that this might be because the shop advertised Lenovo computer products.

Police were investigating whether the phone and battery were counterfeit.

• Click here to read the rest of this story in the Times of London.

• Click here for FOXNews.com's Personal Technology Center.

• Got tech questions? Ask our experts at FoxNews.com's Tech Q&A.