WASHINGTON – Staff have returned to their offices at the Eisenhower Executive Office Building near the White House, after a temporary evacuation due to a fire, FOX News has learned.
A limited number of workers were evacuated briefly after smoke from a fireplace clouded one of the floors. There were no injuries and no apparent damage to the building.
Firefighters were called to the building on 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue about 12:15 p.m. Sunday.
Fire spokesman Alan Etter says firefighters extinguished a fire in a fireplace on the second floor. They believe an obstruction in a chimney caused light smoke to build up on the fourth floor. No damage was reported.
The Secret Service evacuated the building for about 30 minutes as a precaution. There were a few people inside the building, which houses White House staff.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.