NORTH HAVEN, Conn. – Morris and Annelies Sheehan promise North Haven firefighters they won't use real candles on their Christmas trees anymore.
The Sheehan's lit the candles for a guest from Germany Friday night and the tree went up in flames, along with a couch, bookcase, rug and drapes. The family was able to keep the flames from spreading to the rest of the Ridgewood Ave. home by using buckets of water.
The family says it has been using real candles for 44 years with no previous problem, but normally does not have the tree up this long after Christmas.
The Sheehans say they will use electric candles next Christmas.