Chicago Police Continue Investigation of Drive-By Shooting After High School Basketball Game

Chicago police were continuing their investigation early Saturday of the drive-by shooting of five people as spectators left a crowded high school basketball game on the city's South Side, a spokeswoman said.

Officer JoAnn Taylor of the Chicago Police News Affairs office said no suspects had been arrested as of 8 a.m. Saturday.

Five males — three in serious condition and two in critical — were taken from Paul Laurence Dunbar Vocational Career Academy around 8 p.m. Friday, said Chicago Fire Department spokeswoman Eve Rodriguez. Hospital spokespeople said later Friday that at least three were expected to be treated and released.

A sixth person, a female, suffered minor injuries when she fell during the panic that followed the shooting, authorities said.

Taylor said Saturday none of the injuries appeared life-threatening.

"It was crazy, it was like killers on the loose," said Joshua Glaze, 15, a freshman at the school.

The game was in overtime and some students began to leave the building, Glaze said.

A vehicle then drove up and a person or people inside started shooting into the crowd, said Chicago Police Superintendent Jody Weis.

Weis said 200 officers were in the area looking for suspects on Friday.

Dunbar freshman Shaneisha Turman, 15, said she saw a silver truck pull up to a bus stop outside the school. People inside the truck pretended to fire a gun and then "they really started shooting," she told the Chicago Tribune.

People were shouting "'They're shooting,"' Turman said. "It was a lot of people shouting and running."

Police blocked access to streets at least two blocks from the high school to make way for ambulances and police cars.

Andres Durbak, director of the city schools' Office of Safety and Security, said that video taken in and around the school has been handed over to police.

"This is a tragedy," Durbak said.

University of Chicago Comer Children's Hospital spokesman John Easton said the hospital had received one victim, who he said would be treated and released.

Two victims, both in good condition, were expected to be treated and released from Mercy Hospital and Medical Center, said spokeswoman Constance Murphy.

The high school has about 1,600 students and is the alma mater of Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Hudson.