Published December 27, 2008
A Swedish man's attempt to impress his date went horribly awry Friday, as he ended up lighting himself on fire and going into shock.
The 33-year-old man also faces allegations of endangering the public as he recovers from serious burn injuries in a hospital in Vastervik, The Local reported.
The unidentified man's girlfriend said he was attempting a stunt when he poured gasoline over his arm and set the fuel on fire.
"It obviously didn’t go well. He burned his arm and other parts of his body and was in a state of shock," Kalmar police spokesperson Reine Johansson told the TT news agency. "Don’t ask me what the point of the trick was supposed to be."
Police told The Local the man will likely need specialized care at the burn clinic of Linköping University Hospital.