The parties, the champagne, and of course the delicious food! No matter where you’re heading this holiday season, you’re bound to be confronted by the ghost of Christmas calories. But don’t let the possibility of putting on pounds ruin your holiday celebration. I sat down with The Biggest Loser’s top trainer Jillian Michaels and got her secrets to staying slim throughout the season!
7 Tips to a Healthier Holiday:
1. Don’t hit the party hungry, otherwise you’ll overeat. Try to have something before you go.
2. Incorporate exercise into your travel plans. Bring easy to carry exercise equipment along with you on the trip such as a resistance band or workout videos.
3. Pick healthy foods for your holiday menu (check out her “6 Simple Food Swaps to Keep You Slim” listed below.)
4. Make exercise a holiday event! Play touch football with your family or go for a walk with your kids.
5. De-emphasize food! Put the buffet table or appetizers away from where everyone is sitting.
6. Stay hydrated!
7. Remember the rest of the holiday season will be jam-packed with opportunities to overeat. Keep in mind that there is no such thing as a New Years resolution, so start your diet today!
6 Simple Food Swaps to Keep You Slim:
1. Swap white meat for dark meat.
2. Eat whole grain rolls instead of biscuits.
3. Choose steamed vegetables or salad over a casserole.
4. Try a baked sweet potato versus eating candied yams.
5. Indulge in fruit salad over a fruit pie.
6. Stick to a vodka soda or wine as opposed to beer.
For more nutrition advice, check out our food section.
Jillian Michaels is one of the leading health and wellness experts in the country. Perhaps considered one of the most demanding people on television for her role as trainer and life coach on the NBC hit series “The Biggest Loser,” Michaels has created a brand name for herself and motivates nearly 15 million viewers every week on television, approximately one million subscribers to her website and many more with her weekly radio show. Recently, Jillian launched Empowered Media, LLC with the goal of creating total life solutions for people across all platforms – health, wellness, weight loss and overall lifestyle. By imparting her unique and inspiring philosophy to her clients, stressing the integration of fitness, nutrition, and behavioral changes, Jillian empowers each person she works with to define and reach personal goals, both physical and psychological.Jillian currently lives in Los Angeles with her beloved and faithful Chihuahua, Baxter. When she's not on the TV set, she enjoys traveling and getting involved in charitable activities, such as her work as an American Cancer Society Ambassador. For more information please visit www.jillianmichaels.com.