MUMBAI, India – India has evidence that two senior leaders of a banned Pakistani militant group orchestrated the 60-hour siege of India's financial capital that killed 171 people, Indian officials said Thursday.
Meanwhile, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice met in Islamabad with Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari, who said he will take "strong action" against elements in his country that were involved in last week's terrorist attacks.
The nearly three-day assault was carried out by 10 suspected Muslim militants against upscale hotels, a restaurant and other sites across Mumbai.
Evidence collected in the investigation pointed to Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi and Yusuf Muzammil as masterminds behind the attacks, according to two government officials familiar with the matter.
Lakhvi and Muzammil belong to outlawed Pakistani group Lashkar-e-Taiba — which India blames in the attack — and are believed to be living in Pakistan, the officials said. Lakhvi was identified as the group's operations chief and Muzammil as its operations chief in Kashmir and other parts of India.
The lone surviving gunman in the assault told police Lakhvi recruited him for the operation, and the assailants called Muzammil on a satellite phone after hijacking an Indian vessel en route to Mumbai. During the attacks, the gunmen used mobile phones taken from hotel guests to place calls to the Pakistani city of Lahore.
The Indian officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to talk publicly discuss the details.
In Islamabad, Rice said she was satisfied with Pakistan's commitment to fight terrorism: "I found a Pakistani leadership that is very focused and I think very committed for its own reasons."
Indian airports, meanwhile, were put on high alert after the government received warnings of possible airborne attacks.
In a stunning new example of the botched security that has sparked public outrage since the assault, police on Wednesday found two bombs at Mumbai's main train station nearly a week after they were left there by the gunmen.
While searching through about 150 bags, which police believed were left by the dozens of victims in the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus station, an officer found a suspicious-looking bag and called the bomb squad, said Assistant Commissioner of Police Bapu Domre. Inside were two 8.8-pound bombs, which were taken away and safely detonated.
After the attacks, police found unexploded bombs at several of the sites, including two luxury hotels and a Jewish center. A grenade, possibly from the attacks, was found outside city hospital on Thursday.