Italian police have arrested two men suspected of planning a terror attack in Milan, officials said Tuesday.

The men are allegedly part of a Milan area terror cell that was planning attacks on civilian and military targets, city police said in a statement.

Police said the suspects were foreigners, but did not give their nationality or say what they had been charged with.

The ANSA news agency, without citing its sources, said the suspects were Moroccan and had been planning attacks in Milan, possibly on police barracks and a supermarket.

It said they were charged with international terrorism — a charge introduced in Italy after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks in the United States. A conviction carries up to 15 years in prison.

ANSA said one of the suspects was a preacher at an Islamic cultural center called "Pace," or "Peace," in the nearby town of Macherio.