Published November 10, 2008
A hearing on a gag order in the case of a young Florida mother charged with killing her 3-year-old daughter has been delayed as a dive team searched an Orlando park for the missing girl.
The state wants to bar attorneys, Orange County sheriff's investigators and the parents of the mother from making any statements to the media about the case against 22-year-old Casey Anthony. A new date has not been set.
Leonard Padilla, the bounty hunter who initially posted bail for Casey Anthony, brought divers to J. Blanchard Park in Orlando Monday to search a 200-foot stretch of river, MyFOXOrlando reported.
Caylee Anthony was last seen in June but her mother did not report her missing until July. More than 1,000 searchers spent the weekend looking for the toddler's body. It has not been recovered.
The child's mother has pleaded not guilty to charges of first-degree murder, aggravated child abuse, aggravated manslaughter and four counts of lying to investigators about the disappearance of her daughter.
Over the weekend, Texas Equusearch and around 1,500 volunteers searched the Orlando area for the toddler. "Everything is going extremely well," said Equusearch President Tim Miller.
Searchers from about 30 different states came armed with long-bladed knives and sticks, many hunting for any traces of the toddler on horseback. But by Sunday afternoon, those scouring fields and woods still hadn't found anything qualifying as the breakthrough they were hoping for.
Volunteers might still be needed; those interested are asked to call (407) 517-6333.
One select group of searchers was dispatched Saturday to an undisclosed secured area near the airport, though authorities were mum on details.
Earlier Sunday, the father of Anthony's ex-boyfriend Jesse Grund opened the day's efforts with a prayer.
Caylee's grandfather said he didn't think the little girl's remains were going to be unearthed.
"Do I believe they're going to find my granddaughter out there? No," said George Anthony.
Meanwhile, documents publicized last week reveal that Caylee's grandfather worried about the smell of a dead person he detected coming from his daughter's car trunk.
“I had bad vibes the very first day when I got that car," George Anthony said in interviews with investigators. He told police that he said to himself, "Please, God, don't let that be my Caylee."
The Florida State Attorney's Office in Orlando released 500 pages of documents, including interviews with the 22-year-old Casey Anthony's parents, her former boyfriend and friends in connection with Caylee's disappearance.
George Anthony told police that he was concerned about a familiar odor wafting from the trunk of his daughter's Pontiac Sunfire.
As a former homicide investigator, he said, he recognized the smell of death, and his wife Cindy Anthony noticed it too, even though she told the media she thought it was decaying pizza.
Forensic tests released last month confirmed that hair found in the trunk of the vehicle came from a decomposing body. DNA evidence suggests a corpse had been in the car's trunk.
Caylee disappeared two months shy of her third birthday and has been the subject of a massive search since her mother reported her missing a month later.
Anthony said she left Caylee with a baby sitter, but police contend that's a lie. The little girl has not been found and authorities say she was killed.