HAMBURG, N.Y. – Health officials shut down a suburban Buffalo, N.Y. restaurant after an inspector found employees butchering a dead deer inside the business.
Erie County Health Department officials said they got a tip Friday about a dead deer in the China King restaurant in the town of Hamburg, just south of Buffalo.
An inspector soon arrived and saw the deer being butchered in the kitchen.
State health laws prohibit butchering an animal inside a restaurant. Health officials say the practice can spread food-borne illness such as E.coli.
Officials don't know whether the deer had been killed by a hunter or a vehicle. They said there was no indication the deer meat was served to any customers.
The message on the restaurant's answering machine Monday says it was closed because of "family emergencies."