Colorado Dog Tied to Telephone Book and Placed on Lit Stove Dies From Injuries

A 6-year-old Yorkshire terrier who was burned on a stove in a Lakewood apartment has died of his injuries.

The dog, named Bobo, suffered second- and third-degree burns over 50 percent of his body Sunday after he was tied up with speaker wire and placed on a burning telephone book on a lit stove burner.

Wheat Ridge Animal Hospital veterinarian Dr. Elisa Mazzaferro said Thursday morning that the complications of being burned were too much for the animal's organs.

He died overnight.

Police on Sunday arrested Bobo's owner, 38-year-old Tanya Martin, on suspicion of fourth-degree arson and animal cruelty. Her uncle, Leo Cordova, says she suffers from mental illness.

Martin remains jailed on $10,000 bond, and is due in court Thursday.