Inmates Sick After Eating Flower for 'Recreational High'

Five Manatee County Jail inmates were hospitalized after ingesting a poisonous flower that can cause a "recreational high," authorities said.

The low-security inmates were clearing overgrowth in Palmetto Wednesday afternoon when they ate a plant called angel's trumpet, officials said. The plant can cause elevated blood pressure, increased heart rate, agitation and violent behavior. In some cases, people who ingest the plant can slip into a coma or die.

The inmates were taken to nearby hospitals, and their conditions ranged from mild to serious.