BIG SANDY, Texas – Two high school students bitten by a venomous snake in science class are recovering at an East Texas hospital.
School officials in Big Sandy said Tuesday the students were bitten by a cottonmouth snake their teacher had misidentified as non-venomous. They were taken to a hospital Monday when their hands began swelling.
Big Sandy Superintendent Scott Beene said Tuesday the students are OK but remain hospitalized for observation. The snake was given to a nearby zoo.
Beene said the school district would revisit its policies about bringing animals on campus.