Cops: TV Remote Control Caused Explosion That Destroyed Missouri House

Authorities in southwest Missouri say a TV remote control probably triggered an explosion that destroyed a Christian County home.

The only person in the home at the time — 66-year-old Cindy Curry — was blown outside but had only minor injuries. Firefighters say it's amazing she survived at all.

Neighbors said they heard a huge boom when the blast occurred around 6:45 a.m. Tuesday.

Curry's husband, Jerry, says he smelled propane gas in the 10-year-old house late Monday. But the smell was gone Tuesday morning, so he went out to have breakfast with friends.

His wife then turned on the TV — and Billings Fire Chief Henry Bos says it appears the remote control ignited propane still in the house.

The couple lost two of their dogs and a bird.