A Greek gynecologist and two doctors-in-training had their licenses revoked for up to one year after they left a medical spatula inside of a patient’s abdomen.

The incident occurred during a minor surgery at a hospital in Serres, which is in northern Greece, during January 2005.

The patient, a 45-year-old woman, developed breathing problems, a skin rash and a fever. Fluid gathered in her abdomen.

The doctors initially thought she was having an allergic reaction, but a CAT scan revealed the medical error.

Click here to read more from news.com.au.