British Chef Caught Cooking Kebabs Next to Dead Body

A British caterer has been banned from the food industry after he was caught cooking kebabs while a dead body lay on a sofa a few yards away, the U.K.’s Daily Mail is reporting.

Police found Jaswinder Singh, 45, working near the body of one of his employees in a fly-infested food preparation room of Pappu Sweet Centre and Catering. Authorities arrived at the scene to investigate the death of the worker, but a post-mortem investigation confirmed that the death was not suspicious, the Mail said.

But police were horrified when they discovered the extent of the unsanitary conditions under which Singh was preparing food. According to the Mail’s report, investigators discovered that employees were smoking and spitting on the floor, a dead rat under a kitchen pan, moldy food and other filthy conditions.

Singh was fined nearly $7,000 dollars and admitted to 12 food hygiene charges.

Click here to read the full report from the Daily Mail.