A primary school student in Australia was made to undress and was sexually threatened by two men during a class sleepover — but no attempt was made to warn the public even though the offenders are still at large.
The incident was only revealed Thursday because teachers raised the alarm about school safety.
One revealed the two men were waiting in the bathroom when the girl got up during the sleepover and took photos of her during her ordeal.
South Australia's Acting Education Minister Jay Weatherill has ordered a review of school supervision guidelines after being alerted by The Advertiser Wednesday.
No public alert had been issued by the Education Department or SA Police following the incident at a primary school earlier this year. The offenders remain at large. Weatherill last night said the incident was "disturbing".
"The Education Department's extensive guidelines for camps, excursions and sleepovers were updated only last year and set out stringent requirements for safety and supervision of students," he said, in an emailed statement. "In light of this recent incident, however, our School Care Centre (an Education Department-SA Police agency) will revisit these to ensure they are adequate and understood by all principals."
The school and police Wednesday confirmed an incident had occurred during a class sleepover.
Police said two men waiting in a toilet had threatened a girl into performing an act of indecency on a day earlier this year. A teacher, who wished to remain anonymous, Wednesday said the incident raised the question of "how safe are our schools?"
"During the night-time sleepover, a girl went to go to the toilets and there were two men waiting for her in the toilets and they made her undress and took photos of her," the teacher said.