Published July 21, 2008
A San Francisco woman whose husband and two sons were gunned down last month — allegedly by an illegal immigrant who remained in the city despite previous crimes — is demanding the city do something about its sanctuary law.
Danielle Bologna was widowed on June 22 when Edwin Ramos, 21, an illegal immigrant from El Salvador, allegedly gunned down her husband, Anthony, and two sons, Matthew and Michael, in a road rage incident when her family was returning from a picnic.
Ramos has been charged with three counts of murder in the case, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.
"It was a senseless crime, and had they done something this animal would not have taken my family," Bologna told FOX News on Monday. "I feel that the government should have stepped in. I feel that they allow these immigrants to come in and how dare they strip our families like this."
The Chronicle reported that Ramos was convicted of two gang-related felonies while a juvenile and remained in San Francisco because the Juvenile Probation Department did not alert federal authorities. San Francisco's 1989 "City of Refuge" ordinance prohibits city agencies from contacting the feds on immigration matters.
The newspaper also found that federal officials knew about Ramos' immigration status in March when he was arrested on a gun charge, though they couldn't tell the Chronicle why they didn't put an immigration hold on Ramos.
Bologna blames the city.
"It should have been resolved at the beginning, when this guy had done more than one crime in the city," she told FOX News. "I want justice. I want the people to see: If my family wasn’t safe, what makes you think yours will be?"