Police: Missing Fort Bliss Soldier May Be in Danger

Police say a female Fort Bliss soldier is missing and considered in danger after she did not report for work Friday and they found evidence of foul play inside her apartment.

Click here to view video.

Authorities were searching for Pfc. Jeneesa Lewis, 29, and her husband, Clinton. El Paso Officer Chris Mears said they believe the couple is together and want to talk to her husband, Clinton Lewis, 34, about the disappearance.

Mears said investigators have been told by people who know the soldier that she and her husband, who is not in the Army, have been having marital problems.

Fort Bliss spokeswoman Jean Offutt said that when Jenessa Lewis didn't report to physical training or work, soldiers from the 5-52 Air Defense Artillery Battalion, 11th Brigade went to her off-post apartment to check on her. The apartment she shares with her husband was locked, prompting the call to police.

When police arrived just after noon, investigators found evidence of foul play, Mears said.

Mears said neither Lewis nor her husband were at the apartment. He would not discuss details of what officers found in the apartment.

Investigators are looking for a 2001 white Dodge Dakota pickup truck with Texas tags the couple is believed to be in.

Jeneesa Lewis has only been stationed at Fort Bliss for a few months and arrived at the post alone, Offutt said. According to Army records, Jeneesa Lewis' children are living in Tennessee.

Lewis is the fourth young female service member to go missing in recent months.

In January, the body of Marine Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach, of Vandalia, Ohio, was found in the backyard of a fellow Marine. Cpl. Cesar Laurean fled to Mexico but was captured in April and is now charged with Lauterbach's murder. She was stationed at Camp Lejeune, N.C.

Last month, the decomposing body of Spc. Megan Touma, of Cold Spring, Ky., was found in a motel near Fort Bragg, N.C. No arrests have been made in that case.

Earlier this month, Army 2nd Lt. Holley Wimunc, of Dubuque, Iowa, was found dead three days after a suspicious fire was discovered at her Fayetteville, N.C., apartment. Her husband, Marine Cpl. John Wimunc, 23, was charged with murder, first-degree arson and conspiracy to commit arson in the death of his wife.