Drug Company Found Not Liable in Girl's Blindness

The maker of Children's Motrin should not be held liable in the case of an 11-year-old girl who went blind after using the product in 2003, a Malibu, Calif., jury ruled Thursday.

Children's Motrin, a brand of the pain reliever ibuprofen, is manufactured by Johnson & Johnson’s McNeil consumer healthcare unit.

The girl's family claimed the company should have labeled the drug with a warning that it could lead to a rare, but potentially fatal allergic reaction known as Stevens-Johnson Syndrome.

Johnson & Johnson had argued that the girl's condition could not be directly attributed to Motrin, Reuters reported.

At the end of the six-week trial, jurors ruled, in a 9-3 vote, that it could not be proved the drug had caused Sabrina Johnson to go blind.

The plaintiff’s attorney, Browne Greene, said the parents would appeal the verdict.

Sabrina suffered chemical burns in her eyes and every orifice of her body after her parents gave her three does of Children’s Motrin in 2003.

She went to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where even doctors did not know about medical links between the active ingredient in Motrin – ibuprofen – and Stevens-Johnson syndrome.

Ibuprofen is found in many over-the-counter pain relievers and cold medicines, including Advil and Nuprin and numerous store brands.

Click here to read the full story from Reuters.