N.Y. Woman Dies After Eating Wild Mushrooms

A woman who ate poisonous wild mushrooms nicknamed death angels that she found growing near a highway rest stop just outside New York City died.

Westchester County's health department says Zoila Tapia found the pure-white mushrooms July 6, in a wooded area along Interstate 684 in Bedford, a town about an hour's drive north of Manhattan.

The 61-year-old White Plains resident was hospitalized after eating the mushrooms and died July 10. The mushrooms are among the prettiest but deadliest in the world and often are called the destroying angels.

The health department warns against eating mushrooms found in the wild because it's difficult to tell which ones are safe.

Westchester County Medical Examiner Dr. Millard Hyland told The Journal News that by the time Tapia sought medical help, her kidney and liver functions were compromised and her chances for survival were quickly declining.

The state Department of Transportation cleared the mushrooms from the rest stop.

Click here to read more on this story from The Journal News.