Nursing Home Residents Hospitalized After Paint Stripper Sprinkled on Pancakes

Four residents of an Australian nursing home became ill after caustic solution used in paint stripper was mistakenly sprinkled on their pancakes.

Three women and a man from Edgarley Home in southwest Victoria were admitted to the hospital on June 4 after eating the pancakes.

Casterton Memorial Hospital Chief Executive Owen Stephens said one patient left the same day, two others were kept overnight, and the fourth stayed another day.

"My indication on discussion with the home was that it was an accident," Stephens said. "It was nothing of a malicious nature."

The home's chief executive, Steve Toope, said the solution had been used to clean a burnt pan in the kitchen.

"The four residents suffered throat irritation and received immediate first aid from our staff. As a precaution they were taken to hospital for observation,'' he said in a statement. "Two staff members involved in this incident have been suspended with pay.''

Click here to read more on this story from