Testimony Continues From Computer Expert Who Says Entwistle Searched for 'How to Kill' Days Before Slaying

A police detective was testifying again Wednesday about what he found during a search of Neil Entwistle's laptop computer.

Medford police Detective Lawrence James, a computer expert, testified in court Tuesday that a laptop computer taken from the home of the British man accused of killing his wife and 9-month-old daughter was used to search online on "how to kill with a knife" four days before the slayings.

James said the Google search was done on January 16, 2006. Entwistle has pleaded not guilty to murder charges stemming from the killing of his 27-year-old wife, Rachel, and their daughter, Lillian Rose, in their rented Hopkinton home on Jan. 20, 2006.

Click here for photos.

The 29-year-old Entwistle told police he returned home from shopping to find the victims dead in a bed in the master bedroom.

Prosecutors, however, sought to indicate that Entwistle was planning to kill his wife and child, saying that the suspect researched methods of murder and suicide in the days before he fatally shot them.

James is expected to continue his testimony about Entwistle's computer use Wednesday. Judge Diane Kottmyer ruled Tuesday that prosecutors will be allowed to present evidence that the suspect trolled the Internet looking for sex in the days before the slayings.

James is expected to testify that Entwistle allegedly looked for local escort services, using search terms that included "half-priced escorts." The prosecution witness is also expected to claim that the suspect joined a Web group called "Adult Friend Finder," where he exchanged e-mails with women saying he was looking for a "discreet" sexual relationship.

In earlier testimony Tuesday, two of Entwistle's friends said he gave them conflicting accounts of his actions after the slayings that also contradict what he told police. Both said Entwistle told them he called police to report finding the bodies before he returned home to his native England the day after the killings. Prosecutors have said Entwistle fled to England and never called police.

Benjamin Pryor, who attended the University of York with Entwistle, said the suspect told him that he discovered the bodies of his wife and daughter, then drove to her parents' home in Carver to get a gun to kill himself, but couldn't go through with it.

Pryor said Entwistle told him he was unable to get into the house, and eventually found his mother-in-law, told her the news, then grieved with his wife's family and called state police to report the killings.

Pryor said Entwistle told him he then flew to England because he felt "isolated" and wanted to grieve with his own parents.

Another friend, Dashiel Munding, said Entwistle called him in early February 2006 and asked him if he could stay with him for a few days in London because the media had camped out at his parents' home in Worksop.

Munding said that during the stay, Entwistle told him he had found his wife and daughter dead after going out shopping. The witness said Entwistle told him he went to his mother-in-law's office to tell her, and called police from there.

A chemist also testified Tuesday that Entwistle's DNA was found on the handle of the .22-caliber handgun used in the shootings, while his wife's DNA was found on the muzzle.

Prosecutors say Entwistle stole his father-in-law's gun from his home in Carver, used it to kill his wife and daughter at their home in Hopkinton, then returned the gun.

Entwistle's father-in-law, Joseph Matterazzo, had testified that Neil Entwistle handled his guns when they went target practicing in the months before the killings.