Published June 09, 2008
A charity operated by "Get Smart" actress Anne Hathaway's boyfriend is being investigated by New York State Attorney General Andrew Cuomo, the New York Post reported.
Until recently, Hathaway's beau, 29-year-old Italian businessman Raffaello Follieri, sat on the children's charity's board of directors, The Post reported.
Cuomo's office refused to tell the Post why it was investigating the Manhattan-based charity, which says its programs include vaccinating Third World children.
Cuomo's probe comes two months after Follieri was arrested in Manhattan on charges that he bounced a $215,000 check — written against an account that a source said had just $39 in it — to a New Jersey man for services to his real-estate company, the Follieri Group. Charges were dropped in May.
Earlier this year, Follieri settled a lawsuit filed by Los Angeles billionaire Ron Burkle, who accused him and the Follieri Group of "systematically misappropriating" at least $1.3 million of more than $55 million that Burkle's company had contributed to a joint venture to buy and redevelop Catholic Church properties.
Burkle's suit said Follieri used the money to fund an extravagant lifestyle that included private jet travel for himself and Hathaway, as well as for loans of hundreds of thousands of dollars to the foundation.