Serving: 1 cup ceviche with 1/8 avocado
Total Fat: 5.8g
Antioxidant rating: 3
This refreshing lunchtime treat is chef Xiomara Ardolina’s interpretation of a classic Peruvian-born dish, which can be found in many variations throughout the Americas. She likes to serve her ceviche in martini glasses, topped with fresh chunks of avocado.
This recipe contains several Latin powerfoods: chiles, cilantro, and avocado. It also has shrimp, limes and tomatoes.
• 2 jalapeno chilies
• 1 pound rock shrimp (or your favorite medium-size shrimp), peeled, de-veined, and cut into ¼-inch dice
• ¾ pound sea scallops (preferably diver)
• ¾ cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
• ½ cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
• 1 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
• Sugar to taste
• 1 large tomato, roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped
• ½ cup red onion, chopped
• ¼ cup fresh or canned tomato juice
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 small bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
• 1 Hass avocado, peeled and seeded, quartered, for garnish
Roast jalapenos over a flame or in a pan until the skin blackens and blisters: place in a bag or sealed container. When peppers have cooled, remove the skin with paper towel; do not rinse. Seed and chop them.
Combine the shrimp and scallops with the three citrus juices and marinate overnight. Taste for sweetness; add sugar as needed. Add the jalapeno, tomato, red onion, and tomato juice. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cilantro, and garnish with avocado just before serving.