STANTON, Mich. – An inmate with a peanut allergy has died after eating a peanut butter sandwich at the Montcalm County Jail, the sheriff there said Monday.
Sheriff Bill Barnwell told The Daily News of Greenville 30-year-old Paul Anthony Thurston of Greenville died Sunday afternoon at Sheridan Community Hospital.
Barnwell says Greenville police arrested Thurston that morning on a charge of assault and battery.
The sheriff told the paper that Thurston didn't mention peanuts when he was asked while being booked whether he had any allergies.
Barnwell told WOOD-TV and WWMT-TV there will be an internal investigation.