Schoolboy Burned by Overheating PlayStation Portable

A Detroit-area seventh-grader suffered burns to his leg Wednesday after a Sony PlayStation Portable video game overheated in his pocket during band class.

Fire officials told The Detroit News the burns were caused when the game's battery leaked.

A teacher removed the game from the student's pants.

• Click here to visit's Video Gaming Center.

The Detroit Free Press reported the student at Warner Middle School in Farmington Hills was taken to a local hospital for treatment. His injuries were not believed to be life-threatening.

A school district spokeswoman said students can bring the games to school, but are not allowed to play with them during school hours.

Fire officials were trying to determine what caused the game to overheat.

• Click here for a video report from