British Toddler Improving After Barman Accidentally Serves Cleaning Fluid-O.J. Cocktail

A British toddler who became critically ill after a hotel barman in Cyprus accidentally mixed cleaning fluid in her orange juice has shown signs of improvement, doctors said Tuesday.

The director of the children's ward at Nicosia's Makarios Hospital said the 2-year-old girl showed a slight improvement that enabled doctors to take her off a respirator.

"We'll know by tomorrow if we're well on the road to recovery that would allow us to gauge the extent of damage to her internal organs," Dr. Andreas Hadjidemetriou told AP.

The toddler, who was on holiday with her parents at the southern coastal resort of Limassol, suffered internal burns Saturday after sipping the orange juice laced with cleaning fluid, police said in a statement.

The child's 55-year-old father had ordered water-diluted orange juice from the hotel barman. Police said it was unclear how the poison got into the drink, but it appeared the barman may have confused a refilled water bottle containing the colorless, odorless cleaning fluid for water.

The father was also treated in hospital after drinking some of the orange juice and later released, police said.