Father Finds Son Dead in Vat of Sulfuric Acid

An 18-year-old fell into a vat of sulfuric acid and died after apparently being overcome by fumes, police said. His body was discovered by his father Sunday at a circuit board factory where they both worked.

The San Mateo County coroner's office identified the victim as Fernando Jimenez Gonzalez of Redwood City. Gonzalez had been submerging circuit boards in the vat at Coastal Circuits, Redwood City police said.

Gonzalez's father went to the factory when his son did not come home from his shift and discovered the body.

Police were investigating and an autopsy was planned.

An official with the 75-employee firm said the company would not comment until the autopsy was complete.

"We're just in the middle of going through all the facts," said Laura Boozer, chief operating officer of Coastal Circuits.