The entire span of an interstate bridge collapsed into the Mississippi River during evening rush hour Wednesday, sending vehicles, tons of concrete and twisted metal crashing into the water.
— A look at recent fatal bridge disasters in U.S. history:
• Bridge/location: Silver Bridge, Ohio River
Date: Dec. 1967
• Bridge/location: Sunshine Skyway Bridge, Point Pleasant, W.Va.
Date: May 1980
• Bridge/location: Schoharie Creek Bridge, Amsterdam, NY
Date: April 1987
• Bridge/location: Hatchie River Bridge, Covington, Tenn.
Date: April 1989
• Bridge/location: Zuber Creek Culvert
Date: Jan. 1983
• Bridge/location: Bridge over I-40 in eastern Oklahoma
Date: May 26, 2002