After meeting several men and women in the U.S. military — from students to soldiers, generals to colonels — I've been in awe of their dedication and devotion to our country. In this blog, I've enclosed some links that could be helpful to veterans, soldiers or their families.
Be sure to check FOX Fan in the upcoming week as they launch the new section of the Web, Military Matters. There, you will be able to find my latest troop shout outs, military blogs and continued support for our troops overseas.
As always, remember to e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I'd love to hear from you! — Jamie
• NEW RESOURCE FOR PARENTS AND GRANDPARENTS OF DEPLOYING TROOPS
Vicki Cody — the wife of Vice Chief of Staff of the U.S. Army, Gen. Richard Cody, and the mother of two Apache pilots — has written a book, "Your Soldier, Your Army," that guides families through deployment.
• The book is free, and you can obtain a copy by calling 1-800-336-4570 ext. 630, or by e-mailing email@example.com — be sure to put in the subject line that it's in reference to Mrs. Cody's book.
• The book's full text can also be downloaded as a PDF file at the Association of the United States Army Web site.
• NEW HOTLINE FOR ANY VETERAN
This hotline is for every veteran, of any military branch — not just those returning from Iraq. It's a live 24/7 phone line for medical, mental health care, or other issues affecting returning troops.
• Call 1-800-984-8523
• Overseas DSN 312-328-0002
• Stateside DSN 328-0002
• Or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
This new support line is in response to Walter Reed shortfalls. Soldiers calling will not only get what they need, but give the military information on needs not being met so they can improve services for all returning soldiers.
Jamie Colby joined FOX News Channel (FNC) in July 2003 and currently serves as a news correspondent and anchor of "FOX News Live" on Saturdays and Sundays (2 p.m. – 3 p.m. ET). She anchored coverage of the passing of Pope John Paul II and the election of Pope Benedict XVI from Rome. You can read her complete bio here.