5 Dead After Storms, Floods Batter Texas

Two days of heavy storms and flooding in Central Texas killed five people, including two brothers who just graduated kindergarten, and at least one person remained missing Friday, officials said.

Dozens of others were plucked from rising waters, and Gov. Rick Perry activated state search and rescue teams as heavy storms were expected to pound the region over the long holiday weekend.

Police said three people died in Killeen, including a 5-year-old boy and his 6-year-old brother who were found early Friday in a submerged sport utility vehicle. The boys were riding with their mother and two siblings when their vehicle was wiped off the roadway and into a gully Thursday.

Rescuers saved the mother and two siblings, but the swift-moving water rose so quickly that rescuers couldn't help the boys trapped inside, said Bell County Justice of the Peace Garland Potvin. They were identified as Javiante Tarrance, 6, and brother Jarvis, 5.

Elsewhere in Killeen, police said 20-year-old Sean Cannon was walking with another person when he was caught in rushing water. His body was found lodged along a culvert and the other person was rescued, Potvin said.

Outside nearby Copperas Cove, a husband and wife driving home died late Thursday after attempting to cross flood waters, said Coryell County Justice of the Peace Bill Price. They were identified by Coryell County Sheriff Johnny Burks as Jesse Scott Hornsby, 75, and Gloria Evelyn Hornsby, 73.

Authorities said a search will resume at daybreak Saturday near Fredericksburg for Edgar Garcia, who was washed away in his SUV during a storm that dumped 5 to 10 inches of rain in the Texas Hill Country since Thursday. His vehicle was found early Friday, but Garcia remains missing.

Lt. Jim Judd of the Gillespie County sheriff's office said about 30 people spent Friday looking for Garcia, who called his mother after he drove around a barricade blocking a swollen creek and got stuck.

Judd couldn't say whether Garcia, 22, could have survived being swept away, but "the longer this goes the less likely we are to find him alive."

Other vehicles were also washed away, but no other deaths were reported in the county, Judd said. He said people were rescued from three other vehicles and a tractor-trailer.

An 8-year-old boy who went missing Friday in Killeen after storms swept through was found unharmed, said Chad Berg, the city's emergency management coordinator.

Emergency responders performed about 20 vehicle rescues in Killeen, and Fort Hood personnel reported 12 water rescues at the post.

About 100 homes, apartment buildings and businesses sustained minor roof and window damage Friday, said Dennis Baker, the Bell County emergency management coordinator. About six people suffered minor cuts and bruises.

By late Friday, Oncor Electric Delivery restored power to nearly 3,000 homes that lost electricity in the Central Texas area and 2,000 homes around Dallas and Fort Worth.

In Schleicher County, three people trapped between two water crossings were rescued by helicopter. They were not injured, according a report from the Governor's Division of Emergency Management.

Perry activated 96 soldiers and 38 vehicles to be deployed in Waco, Austin and San Antonio for the weekend. He also activated four Texas Army National Guard helicopters and 28 other personnel, to be staged in Austin and San Antonio.

Three helicopter rescue squads from the Texas Task Force 1 search and rescue team were also activated. The task force also will support a 28-member swift water rescue team in San Antonio with equipment and personnel ready for rapid deployment.

Perry and other officials urged caution throughout the stormy Memorial Day weekend.

Heavy rainfall caused rivers and creeks to swell. Although some floodwaters started receding Friday, another round of heavy rain was expected over the weekend, said meteorologist David Schumacher of the National Weather Service in New Braunfels.

"We're going to be in a wet pattern for the next few days," said Ted Ryan, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Fort Worth. "There's probably going to be lots of flooding issues."