Weapons in Iraq
- IEDs are the largest killer of U.S. troops in Iraq.
Source: Defense Secretary Robert Gates cited in USA Today Article
- EFP is an Explosively Formed Penetrator.
- Explosively formed penetrator warheads are designed to project a single massive high velocity penetrator.
- EFP is designed to attack the top of armored vehicles.
- Explosively Formed Penetrator warheads can defeat the target at very long standoffs.
- EFP warheads consist of an explosive billet and a metal liner.
- Detonation propels the penetrator towards the target at speeds greater that Mach 6.
Source: Global Security