PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Brown University men's lacrosse team is recruiting Reade Seligmann, one of three Duke lacrosse players accused of sexually assaulting a woman hired to perform as a stripper, the Ivy League school said Wednesday.
Christopher Humm, Brown's sports information director, confirmed a report in The Brown Daily Herald student newspaper that said the university was recruiting Seligmann. He said he was barred by NCAA regulations from commenting further.
Coach Lars Tiffany also said the school is recruiting Seligmann, but he could not gauge the student's interest. He did not know if Brown had a policy barring admission to students facing criminal charges.
"It hasn't gotten to that stage," he said. "We're so early in the recruiting process. It's uncharted territory, you could say."
Seligmann, Collin Finnerty and David Evans were indicted last spring on charges of rape, sexual offense and kidnapping stemming from an alleged incident at a team party.
In December, Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifong dropped charges of rape against the three athletes after the woman changed a key detail of her account of the March 13 party.
The three men, who have consistently maintained their innocence, still face charges of sexual offense and kidnapping.
The embattled Nifong, facing ethics charges filed by the state bar, withdrew from the case last month and turned it over to the North Carolina attorney general's office.
Last month, Duke officials announced that Seligmann and Finnerty were invited to return to school and were eligible to rejoin the team. Evans graduated last May.