Dog Electrocuted, Owner Shocked During Walk in Chicago Park

A woman was shocked and her dog killed after the two were believed to have stepped on a panel that had a shorted electrical wire in a Chicago park on Saturday, police said.

The dog's owner, Laura Mercer, said her Labrador retriever mix stepped on something and looked like it was having a seizure around 5:30 p.m. on a walking path near Grant Park.

Officials were investigating the death of another dog that died in a similar way.

Mercer was hospitalized for shock and for bites from the dog. She was released on Monday.

Sgt. Eugene Mullins says no other information is available.