|Dr. Manny Alvarez
Click a face above to see their delicious recipe!
Skyline Chili Dip
The Lambrinides family emmigrated from Greece and in the late 40's started a family business in my hometown of Cincinnati, Ohio.
Skyline Chili boasts a secret ingredient that has been debated for decades (it must be chocolate, or cinnamon, or both).
Living away from home, I buy the chili in cans and bring it back to New York City.
• A bar of Philadelphia Cream Cheese
• A can of Skyline Chili
• A bag of preshredded cheddar cheese
Preparation is simple:
• Slather a layer of Philadelphia Cream Cheese on a plate
• Pour the heated Skyline Chili over the cream cheese
• Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
• Serve it warm and all three fuse together. Its great junk food!
Spicy Mustard & Olive Kickers
Celebrate the Swedish way to a Super Bowl Feast!
• 1/2 lb ground beef, veal, pork
• 1 medium shallot
• 1 medium yellow onion
• 3 cloves of garlic
• 2 scallions
• 1 jalapeno pepper - seeded
• 1 handfull of Italian parsley
• 1 tbs old fashioned grainy mustard
• About 7 dashes of hot sauce
• 7 hot pepper olives
• 1 generous dash of Braggs' liguid aminos
• 3 shakes of ground white pepper
• 1 dash of course black pepper
• 1 tsp ground bayleaf
• 1 tsp paprika
• 1/2 tsp ground cumin
• 1/2cup salt free breadcrumbs soaked in
• 1/2 cup beef broth
• In a food processor, pulse together all but the ground beef and breadcrumbs until blended well, thereafter add the remaining and give it a few quick pulses.
• Transfer to a bowl and roll the mixture into meatballs and saute at medium to high heat until well browned. Lower the heat and finish cooking until done.
• Serve the meatballs with mini pita bread brushed with olive oil. Dash the bread with flaky salt, toast, slice and top with your favorite mustard. Serve on a platter with some spicy olives on a bed of lettuce
* It's best if it stands 10 minutes or so before serving. Perfect with a salad and chianti, but beer will do too!
Chocolate Pecan Pie
• 3 eggs
• 2/3 cups sugar
• 1 cup pecans
• 3/4 cups dark chocolate chips
• 1 cup light corn syrup
• 1/3 cup melted butter
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• Place pecan halves on bottom of unbaked pie shell.
• Beat the eggs and add chocolate chips, sugar, salt, corn syrup and melted butter to the eggs.
• Pour onto the pecans in the pie shell.
• Bake at 350 degrees until fairly firm (about 45 minutes). Serve warm
Should yield 9 servings and a touchdown!
Just a note those of us on-air love cheese, but we have to cut corners if we want to keep our "game face" (or is it body?)
So, this lasagna recipe is on the lighter, lower fat side.
Viewers feel free to substitute the real deal if you want!
• 3/4 pound ground round
• Vegetable Cooking Spray
• 1 cup chopped onion
• 3 garlic cloves, minced (or more if you can stand it!)
• 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
• 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
• 1 (6 ounce can) tomato paste
• 1 and 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
• 1 teaspoon dried basil
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 2 cups nonfat cottage cheese
• 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
• 1 (15 ounce) container nonfat ricotta cheese
• 1 egg white, beaten lightly
• 12 cooked lasagna noodles
• 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese (you can use half real and half low fat if desired)
• Soften the garlic and onion in a saute pan using the cooking spray until lightly brown. Add the meat and cook over medium heat till done. Drain and set aside. Spray a large saucepan with cooking spray and once heated add the tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste, oregano, basil and pepper. Simmer 10 minutes. Add meat back and cook uncovered on low for 20 minutes. Stir occassionally.
• In a bowl combine cottage cheese, ricotta, mozzarella and the egg white. Stir well and set aside. In a 13 x 9 inch baking pan or glass dish spread 4 noodles across the bottom. Spread enough of the meat and sauce mixture on top to almost cover. Top with half of the cheese mixture, more of the tomato mixture and half the mozzarella. Repeat layers ending with noodles covered with the tomato mixture. Use the remaining mozzarella across the top.
• Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Then bake uncovered for 10 minutes so the cheese gets all brown and bubbly.