Electric Wheelchair Catches Fire, Critically Injuring Retiree

A retiree was engulfed in flames and critically burned when his electric wheelchair caught fire and he could not get out.

The 63-year-old man, whose name was not released, was hospitalized Tuesday with burns over about 90 percent of his body.

"When we responded, he was fully engulfed in flames," said Assistant Fire Chief Mark Bennett of the Los Angeles County Fire Department. "It's horrible."

A neighbor heard the man's screams, Bennett said.

The wheelchair motor apparently started the fire.