Laser Pointer Causes California High Rise Fire

A hand-held laser pointer caused a fire at a Miracle Mile high rise that caused $200,000 in damage, a fire official said.

The blaze at the 17-story office building at 6200 Wilshire Blvd. began just after 10 a.m. Saturday, said Los Angeles city fire spokesman Brian Humphrey.

The laser device had been laid on an examination table in a 12th floor dermatologist's office, Humphrey said. The device ignited surrounding furnishings, sparking the fire.

The fire was extinguished by the building's sprinkler system, Humphrey said. Firefighters mopped up about 3 inches of water.

There were no reports of injuries.