Looking for some last minute Christmas dessert ideas? "Great Scott," award-winning chef and owner of New Jersey's Le Petit Chateau, promises his decadent chocolate mousse will be a huge hit at your next holiday gathering.
• Chocolate Mousse
• 12 oz. bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
• 10 Tbsp. unsalted butter
• 8 egg yolks in a small bowl
• 8 egg whites in a large bowl, at room temperature
• 3 Tbsp cognac
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar
1. Place the chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler on low heat. Slowly melt the chocolate, stirring constantly.
2. Remove the chocolate from the heat and gradually stir the mixture into the egg yolks, beating well. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
3. Beat the egg whites until stiff using preferably an electric beater. Stir the cognac into the chocolate and egg mixture, then gently fold this into the egg whites. Ensure there's no visible white streaks.
4. Pour mousse into a 1-quart serving dish and refrigerate overnight.
5. Prior to serving chilled mousse, beat the heavy cream and powdered sugar and garnish on top of mousse.
For more information, visit: www.greatscottchef.com