Wisc. Cat Starts House Fire, Dog Rescues Owner

After a disabled woman's cat started a house fire, her specially trained dog rescued her by bringing a phone to call for help.

Jamie Hanson, 49, received third-degree burns on her arm in the fire that killed both of her pets, police said Monday.

The fire started Sunday night when Hanson's cat knocked a candle onto a chair. Hanson's dog then brought her a phone, allowing her to call for help.

Hanson, who lost a leg in a car accident, told the dispatcher she was disabled but would try to leave the house, Lt. Chad Broeren said.

Firefighters found her standing in the doorway as flames engulfed the home, he told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

She was taken to a local hospital. Her injuries are not life threatening.