From reversing summer sun damage to banishing blemishes, NYC-based top dermatologist Dr. Judith Hellman shares her skincare secrets:
• Hydrated skin is glowing skin. I always tell people that if there is one easy, priceless step they can take to ensure that their skin looks healthy, it is to drink water. Dehydration can leave skin dry, vulnerable, and drained of nutrients — it can also exacerbate dry skin conditions like eczema. Make sure you drink the recommended eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day.
• Another key to beautiful skin is physical activity. Cardiovascular activities promote blood flow throughout the body. This blood will deliver rich oxygen to cells that need it, resulting in a fresh and youthful glow.
• Cigarette smoking narrows blood vessels and decreases oxygen supply to the skin. Smoking also causes biochemical changes in our bodies that speed up the aging process. Research shows that a person who smokes 10 or more cigarettes a day for a minimum of 10 years is statistically more likely to develop aged skin at a younger age than a non-smoker. It also has been shown that smokers tend to develop a yellowish hue to their complexion, not to mention smokers lines above their lips from repeatedly pursing them while smoking.
2. SUN PROTECTION
• Extended exposure to sun is the worst thing for the skin. The primary culprit is harsh ultraviolet (UV) rays, which penetrate and change the structure of skin cells. These changes increase a person's risk for developing skin cancer, and rapidly accelerate the skin's aging process. UV rays are present throughout the year, so it is important to apply sunscreen every day, regardless of the season.
• Neutrogena Ultra Sheer™ Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55
3. ANTI-AGING SKINCARE
• Anti-aging skincare treatments can promote smooth and bright complexions for people of all ages. Advancements in anti-aging skincare have made it easy and affordable for people to prevent and remedy skin damage. While there is no cure-all for damaged skin, these products help to restore the skin's glow and youthful vitality.
• One of the best options on the market today in quality and price is the Altaire Anti-Aging System,* which is found exclusively at BJ's Wholesale Club. Developed in Paris by the makers of Orlane, Altaire incorporates vitamin A, B5, C, E, and vegetable DNA to stimulate the renewal of the skin and the production of young, healthy skin cells. The formulation is light enough to use year-round, yet rich enough to deliver moisture and nutrients, and is a great example of an anti-aging skincare treatment that can work for every skin type. Altaire is replete with cream cleanser, toner, eye cream, firming serum and day and night cream.
• No matter what your skin type, moisturizing is key to keeping skin healthy. I recommend that my patients use a night cream to add an extra dose of moisture to their skincare regime. People with normal to oily skin can use night creams every night after washing their face. However, if you have very oily skin, make sure to use a night cream that is oil-free.
• Aveeno Ultra-Calming Moisturizing Cream* has natural ingredients that will hydrate skin all night long. Use this moisturizing cream at night to reduce redness, calm and soothe irritations, and diminish blotchiness for even-looking skin.
• A thorough cleaning regime will help skin stay free of clogged pores and acne . To maintain your skin in its best condition, make sure that your facial skin care routine includes washing your face in the morning and before bed. Since the skin on your face is extraordinarily delicate, it is important to use a cleanser that is gentle and non-abrasive. Also, when washing, removing makeup, or even drying your face, be careful not to tug at your skin, which could lead to wrinkles or irritation.
• Cetaphil® Gentle Skin Cleanser* is one of the gentlest and most effective cleansers on the market. In fact, it is one of only 25 brands (out of 10,000+) inducted into the Allure "Best of Beauty" Hall of Fame. I recommend using it twice a day for clean, smooth skin.
• All products are available at BJ's Wholesale Club. Log onto www.bjs.com for more information and to find a Club nearest you.