PHOENIX – Two men accused in a string of shootings in the Phoenix metropolitan area have been charged with murder and attempted murder.
Prosecutors on Tuesday also added 16 counts of drive-by shooting in a 17-page complaint filed in Maricopa County Superior Court.
"These alleged crimes have caused carnage and terror in our community," County Attorney Andrew Thomas said in a statement. "I am confident that justice will be done."
In a jailhouse interview Monday, Hausner said he was innocent but that it was possible his roommate was responsible for the shootings. Dieteman refused interview requests.
Police said they have learned that Dieteman told acquaintances about the serial shootings that claimed seven lives since May 2005. According to court documents, Dieteman told police that he and Hausner were involved in some of the shootings. Dieteman called them "RV" — "random recreational violence."
Police searching Hausner's apartment last week found guns and ammunition, newspaper clippings about the serial killer investigation and maps showing locations of previous shootings.
Maria Schaffer, a defense lawyer representing Dieteman, did not return calls to her office Tuesday afternoon. Hausner's lawyer, Garrett Simpson, said he couldn't comment about the case until he has had a chance to learn more about the police investigation. He was appointed to the case Monday.
Authorities continued to search for another serial predator known as the Baseline Killer who is blamed for eight murders and 11 sexual assaults.