MIAMI – A woman sued wine and spirit maker Bacardi Monday claiming she was seriously burned by flaming rum during a night out with a friend, who has also sued the company.
Agata Macierzynska is a friend of Danielle Alleyne, who had previously sued the company over an August 2002 incident at a Miami night club. Alleyne, of Miami, sued the company last week. Both women say they suffered serious burns after being hit by the flaming rum and claim one of Bacardi's products is defective and dangerous, the lawsuits said. They were filed in Miami-Dade County Circuit Court.
The company said its product is clearly labeled with warnings against setting fire to it.
A bartender, who was not identified in either lawsuit, was pouring shots of Bacardi 151 when a customer lit a menu on fire and placed it in the stream of alcohol. The bottle that was being used to pour the shots turned into a flame thrower and sent flaming rum all over Macierzynska, the lawsuit said.
Macierzynska suffered second and third degree burns on her face, neck, arms, underarms, ears, back and hands and is permanently disabled and disfigured, the lawsuit said.
Alleyne suffered similar burns, her lawsuit said.
"Bacardi 151 carries a very clear label that warns against any flaming of the product," Bacardi USA, Inc. said in a statement.
The Miami-based company said it had not been served with the lawsuit and could not comment on it.
Attorney Robert Dickman is representing both women. A telephone message left after hours at his office was not immediately returned.
The second lawsuit, like the first, alleges that Bacardi 151 proof rum "emits a high volume of combustible and explosive vapor" which makes it "unreasonably dangerous" and a "defective product."