BRAMPTON, Ontario – The youngest of the 17 suspects arrested in an alleged plot to blow up public buildings in southern Ontario was granted bail Monday, the third suspect to be freed on bail.
The 16-year-old, who cannot be named because of his age, is accused of attending a training camp in Washago, Ontario.
The youth's parents are putting up the required $13,000 bail, making them his sole sureties.
Under the conditions established by Justice Gary Trotter, the youth must report to police every Friday and have no communication with the other suspects.
He's also forbidden from possessing firearms and required to turn over any travel documents, and also must stay at home under parental supervision.
He is allowed to go to court, school, his lawyer's and the police station without supervision.
The youth's lawyer, Michael Block, said it was a very reasonable decision."
Block said the parents are elated.
"They're very happy," he said. "They're very, very happy. They're going to take their boy home and stuff him with all sorts of homemade food."
The youth's original application for bail was denied last month by a justice of the peace.
The youth is second of five youth suspects to be granted bail. He's scheduled to appear in court again on Aug. 16.
Twenty-one-year-old Ahmad Ghany of Mississauga, Ontario, became the first of 12 adult suspects to be released from custody on Thursday after a justice of the peace set bail at $123,000 and placed him under house arrest.
Seventeen suspects, including five teenagers, were arrested June 2 and charged with participating in a terrorist group and other terrorist-related offenses.
Seven of the suspects are accused of attempting to acquire three times the amount of explosives responsible for the devastating Oklahoma City federal building bombing, and plotting to bomb targets in Ontario.
At a court appearance in June, a lawyer for one of the accused said the group was accused of discussing storming the Parliament buildings in Ottawa and taking legislators hostage.
One of the accused allegedly talked about beheading Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
Since then, a blanket publication ban on reporting evidence from the individual bail hearings has prevented the media from writing or broadcasting details of the case.