Texas Executes Man for 1999 Triple Slaying

Proclaiming his innocence, an admitted drug dealer was executed Tuesday evening for a shooting spree in 1999 that left three men dead and two others wounded outside a Fort Worth convenience store.

Lamont Reese, 28, had to be carried into the death chamber.

"I want everyone to know I did not walk to this, because this is straight-up murder," he said. "I am not going to play a part in my own murder. No one should have to do that."

Click here for the Crime Content Center.

He expressed love to his mother and to relatives of the murder victims as they watched from separate windows nearby.

"I do not know all of your names and I don't know how you feel about me," he said, addressing the victims' relatives. "And whether you believe it or not, I did not kill them."

As the drugs began taking effect, he said, "This is some nasty." Then he gasped.

At that moment, his mother, Brenda Reese, began pounding with her fists on the chamber window and began screaming repeatedly, "They killed my baby."

She kicked two holes in the death chamber wall and eventually was taken away. She sobbed and nearly collapsed as she reached the prison administration building across the street.

Reese was pronounced dead at 6:27 p.m., eight minutes after the drugs began to flow.

Evidence at the trial of Reese, who acknowledged dealing crack cocaine for years, showed that his 18-year-old girlfriend walked out of the convenience store and drew the attention of several men.

Reese became angry, and the couple left, met up with three other people and got handguns and assault rifles. The girlfriend, Kareema Kimbrough, drove them back to the store, and the gunmen sprayed the scene with bullets.

Detectives found ammunition in Reese's car that matched bullets at the scene.

The Supreme Court rejected his final appeal about 20 minutes before he was to be taken to the death chamber.

Kimbrough, now 26, is serving life for capital murder. The three others are serving sentences ranging from 35 to 50 years.