Teen Denies Knowing Natalee Holloway

The 19-year-old man released in the case of Alabama teenager Natalee Holloway has "no relevant information" about her disappearance and was not involved in that or in drug offenses, his lawyer said.

Geoffrey van Cromvoirt was released Monday, nine days after police arrested him, but the Aruba public prosecutor's office said he remained a suspect.

The teenager was arrested based on witness statements, but family and friends said he does not fit the descriptions and was home on the night of May 29 and 30 when Holloway disappeared, said lawyer Eline Lotter Homan in a Dutch statement to the media issued late Monday night.

Van Cromvoirt had been held on suspicion of "criminal offenses that may be related to the disappearance" of Holloway" and possible drug offenses, prosecutors said earlier. He was released Monday morning when prosecutors announced, "the grounds for his detention are no longer there."

"He at no time has met Natalee Holloway, nor has any relevant information pertaining to her disappearance," the defense lawyer said, adding that he denied allegations of a drug offense. She said he cooperated fully with the investigation, which sped up his release.

The prosecutor's office also said Monday that a 20-year-old man with the initials A.B. was arrested in the Holloway case on Saturday and was released after six hours of interrogation. No details have been provided.

Van Cromvoirt left an Oranjestad police station with family members on Monday. Journalists did not see him at the family's two-story yellow house topped by a Spanish tile roof.

Holloway, of Mountain Brook, Alabama, was 18 when she vanished on May 30 — the final night of her high school graduation trip to this Dutch Caribbean island.

Authorities have arrested eight people in connection with Holloway's disappearance and released them due to lack of evidence.

Dutch marines, the Aruban Coast Guard, the FBI and hundreds of volunteers have searched the island and coastal areas for Holloway, to no avail. Authorities were studying images of the sea floor taken during a four-day search that ended last week, but no results have been announced.