LONDON – Prince Harry would be involved in "the fullest range of deployments" if his unit is sent to Iraq, but he might be kept out of situations where his presence would jeopardize his comrades, the Ministry of Defense said Monday.
The Mail on Sunday newspaper, quoting unidentified sources, reported that Harry had threatened to resign from the army if he is held out of combat roles.
It's unclear, however, when the question might arise.
The prince will soon start a five-month training course leading to becoming a platoon commander in an armored reconnaissance role. The Ministry of Defense said Harry's unit, the Blues and Royals regiment of the Household Cavalry, will not go to Iraq in the rotation next month, and no date has been set for a possible deployment.
"The intention is for him to undertake the fullest range of deployments" with his unit, said a spokeswoman at the Ministry of Defense, speaking on condition of anonymity in line with government policy.
However, she added, there might be occasions when the presence of a member of the royal family would increase the risk of attack against Harry's comrades, and he could be withheld from those situations.
In an interview last year, the prince insisted that he wanted to be like any other soldier.