MACARONI & CHEESE
With proscuitto — Not the kind you're used to!
Yields: 4 portions
• 1 lb. penne pasta, dried or fresh
• 1/4 lb. prosciutto, sliced thin
• 2 tbsp bread crumbs
• 2 cups half and half
• 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
• 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
• 1 tbsp sweet whole butter
• salt and pepper
• Melt the butter in a medium size saucepot over low heat. Once the butter is melted add the flour and mix well, then add the half and half followed by the cheddar cheese. Make sure the cheese is incorporated well and never turn the heat above a low temperature, this will ensure no burning.
• Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a hard boil. Add the pasta and allow to cook for about 8 to 10 minutes. Once the pasta is cooked strain and add to a large bowl.
• Take the prosciutto and roughly pick bite-size pieces with your hands and add to the bowl with the cheese sauce.
• Thoroughly mix everything together and place into a baking dish.
• Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top and place underneath the broiler for about 2 to 5 minutes.